Google Ad

Thursday, November 11, 2004

My first blog posting

Okay, where to start?

I guess a little about me...

I am a 40 year old stay at home mom. I live in the desert of Southern Arizona and I'm not sure, yet, what to make of it.

I have three kids, Elias, my youngest, Billy, my oldest, in the Army (he served 6 months in A-Stan) and living in North Carolina, and then my step son, Matt, who recently ended his time in the Army, following almost eleven months in Baghdad (he was in the ground war), who lives in South Carolina now.

I am "happily" married; have been for 12 years now. I put that in quotes because my husband has a tendency to absolutely drive me crazy. Most days, he's a good egg, some days, I want to pull my hair out.

Eli, my husband and I moved to Arizona from Ohio just a month ago. Mark, my husband, was losing his job in Ohio. His work is specialized in the sense that he is more tuned towards working for government contractors, doing technical writing and instruction of military members on avionics and airplanes affiliated with the military. For several years, he was training soldiers on the care and maintenance of ground satellite stuff. I don't know exactly what it is he does. Early on in our marriage, he tried to explain it all to me and I could feel my eyes glazing over the more he talked. But then he nearly goes comatose when I try to talk accounting with him so we finally agreed that we didn't need to understand each other's jobs to appreciate each other. We now have a joke between us that I don't need to understand his job in order to spend his money.

I was born into a military family. My father served for 22 years, first with the Army/Air Corp in WWII then with the Air Force for the remaining years. He served in Korea and Vietnam while in the Air Force. Daddy passed away three years ago following a short bout with cancer. Man, I miss him.

My mother was raised in the Appalachian Mountains of Kentucky. She was a fiercely proud person who had nerves of steel. She managed to raise 5 kids on an enlisted man's salary, how I don't know, but she did. Mother passed away just eleven days ago, on Halloween. I'm still numb over this. I had my first bad day yesterday with the realization she really is gone.

I also have brothers and sisters but I think I'll save them for individual postings.

Now, on to my living in the desert...

We live on four acres near the mountains of Southern Arizona. I am nervous and excited over this. I have never lived in the desert and I am terrified of snakes and crawlies... There are tarantulas here in the desert and I think the first time I actually see a live one, I'll be running so fast my hair will fall out.

We have a variety of birds here that are indigenous to the desert that I wish to attract to our yard. Roadrunners are a particular favorite of mine since they eat spiders and snakes. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to attract them to my yard, please let me know.

I guess that's it for now. I'm sitting here now wondering if this thing has spell check?

Talk to you soon!